does carmax buy all cars
Does CarMax Buy All Cars? The Truth About Selling Your Car to CarMax
If you have a car that you want to sell, you might be wondering if CarMax will buy it from you. CarMax is a well-known company that sells used cars, but they also buy cars from individuals and offer trade-in options. But does CarMax buy all cars, regardless of their condition, age, or mileage? And how does the process work?
In this article, we will answer these questions and more, based on the information we found on CarMax’s website and other online sources. We will also compare selling your car to CarMax with other alternatives, such as selling it privately or to a junk car buyer.
Does CarMax Buy All Cars?
The short answer is yes, CarMax buys all cars. They purchase all makes and models and cars in all kinds of conditions. The cars undergo a 125+ point inspection as well as an extensive appraisal process.
However, there are some exceptions and limitations to keep in mind. For example:
- CarMax does not buy cars that have flood damage, frame damage, or salvage history. These cars are sold at auction instead.
- CarMax does not fix unrepaired safety recalls on the cars they buy. They urge customers to have them fixed by the manufacturer before selling or trading in their car.
- CarMax does not buy classic cars. They may make an offer for them, but it will likely be very low compared to their market value.
- CarMax does not buy cars that are not registered or do not have a clear title. You need to have the title in your name and be able to provide proof of ownership.
- CarMax does not buy cars that are undrivable. You need to be able to drive your car to a CarMax store for an appraisal.
How Does Selling Your Car to CarMax Work?
If you want to sell your car to CarMax, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Find a CarMax store near you. You can use their website or app to search for locations and check their inventory.
- Bring your car to the store for an appraisal. You don’t need an appointment, but you can schedule one online if you prefer. You also need to bring your driver’s license, keys, title, registration, and any other documents related to your car.
- Get an offer from CarMax. The appraisal process takes about 30 minutes and involves inspecting your car’s condition, features, history, and market value. You will receive a written offer that is valid for seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first).
- Accept or decline the offer. If you accept the offer, you can sell your car to CarMax on the spot and get paid by bank draft or electronic transfer. If you decline the offer, you can walk away with no obligation or pressure.
- If you have a loan on your car, CarMax will handle the payoff process with your lender. However, you may still owe some money if your loan balance is higher than the offer amount.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Selling Your Car to CarMax?
Selling your car to CarMax can have some advantages and disadvantages depending on your situation. Here are some of them:
- You can sell your car quickly and easily without dealing with private buyers or dealerships.
- You can get a fair and transparent offer based on your car’s condition and market value.
- You can avoid haggling or negotiating over the price of your car.
- You can get paid immediately by bank draft or electronic transfer