best bathtubs to buy
How to Choose the Best Bathtub for Your Bathroom
A bathtub is more than just a place to wash up. It can also be a relaxing oasis, a therapeutic spa, or a stylish focal point in your bathroom. But with so many types, sizes, materials, and features to choose from, how do you find the best bathtub for your needs and preferences?
In this article, we will guide you through the different types of bathtubs, the factors and features to consider, and some of the best bathtubs to buy in 2023.
Types of Bathtubs
The first thing to consider when choosing a bathtub is the type. There are several types of bathtubs, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Alcove bathtub: This is the most common and affordable type of bathtub. It is surrounded by walls on three sides and usually has a showerhead above it. It is ideal for small bathrooms and shower-bath combos.
- Drop-in bathtub: This type of bathtub requires a separate frame or platform to support it. It does not touch the walls and has a sleek look. It is more expensive and spacious than an alcove tub and can be customized with different shapes and materials.
- Freestanding bathtub: This type of bathtub stands on its own, without any walls or frames. It can be placed anywhere in the bathroom and has a luxurious and elegant look. It is the most expensive and spacious type of bathtub and requires additional plumbing.
- Walk-in bathtub: This type of bathtub has a door that allows easy access for people with mobility issues. It also has safety features such as grab bars, seats, and anti-slip surfaces. It is more expensive and requires more water than a regular tub.
Factors and Features to Consider
After deciding on the type of bathtub, you need to consider some other factors and features that affect your comfort, convenience, and budget.
- Size: The size of your bathtub depends on the size of your bathroom and how much space you have available. You also need to consider how many people will use the tub and how comfortable you want to be. The standard size of a bathtub is 60 inches long by 30 inches wide by 14 inches deep, but you can find smaller or larger options depending on your needs.
- Material: The material of your bathtub affects its durability, weight, maintenance, and appearance. Some of the most common materials are acrylic, fiberglass, enameled steel, cast iron, and porcelain. Acrylic and fiberglass are lightweight, easy to clean, and affordable, but they can scratch or fade over time. Enameled steel and cast iron are heavy-duty, durable, and resistant to scratches and stains, but they can chip or rust if damaged. Porcelain is smooth, glossy, and easy to clean, but it can crack or chip if dropped.
- Features: Some bathtubs come with additional features that enhance your bathing experience. For example, you can find bathtubs with massage jets that soothe your muscles, air jets that create bubbles for relaxation, or chromotherapy lights that change colors for mood enhancement. You can also find bathtubs with built-in speakers that play music or podcasts, digital controls that adjust the temperature and water flow, or aromatherapy dispensers that release scents for relaxation.
The Best Bathtubs to Buy in 2023
To help you narrow down your choices, here are some of the best bathtubs to buy in 2023 based on customer reviews and expert recommendations.
- Best Overall: Woodbridge 55-Inch Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub
- Runner-Up: Vanity
This freestanding bathtub from Woodbridge is made of high-quality acrylic that is durable, easy to clean, and resistant to scratches and stains. It has a sleek design that fits any bathroom style and a spacious interior that accommodates one or two people comfortably. It also has an integrated overflow drain system that prevents water from spilling over.